I am in a lot of Facebook groups that pertain to food allergies and special diets like paleo. Last week, in a dairy free group, I had a lot of people express an interest in my dairy free vegan cheese sauce.
Due to my limited diet from food allergies, I have made this for a few years now. Growing up, my mum always made this with regular cheese and milk and I just adapted the recipe to something that I can have. I won’t lie, it tastes amazing when made with extra old cheese, but that isn’t an option for me anymore.
I use this sauce for a number of dishes. It is super easy to make and the slightest tweak gives you a new flavor. You can alter it with different vegan cheeses or spices. My favorite is use some dill and garlic or just some chili peppers.
I add it on top of my zoodles to get a fettuccine dish or gluten free and regular pasta work well. It works great on top of baked potatoes with bacon, chives and grated vegan cheese. I use it as a soup base for cream of mushroom, celery or tomato soups. Pour it on top of steamed veggies or I dice cauliflower and stir in the sauce to make a paleo mac and cheese.
This is the one I am going to cover today as it was requested a lot. I will go into the other alterations in another post. Enjoy and let me know what you think of it!
Dairy Free Paleo Mac and Cheese
- 1 head Diced Cauliflower
- 2 tbsp Vegan Butter
- 3 tbsp Potato flour (add a little more if you want it more creamy)
- 1 can Full fat coconut milk
- .5 cup Grated vegan cheese
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 pinch Pepper
- Cut your cauliflower into large florets. You can boil it in water for a few minutes till it is tender. I usually put it in my steamer in the microwave for 2.5 minutes. Set it to the side once it is cooked.
- Melt the butter in a pan on medium heat. Make sure it doesn't burn. Remove it from the heat and stir in the flour of your choice. You should have a thick paste.
- Open the can of coconut milk. Return the mixture to the heat and gradually add the coconut milk whisking the entire time. I usually scrape the cream from the top and mix that, adding the water after.
- Add in the grated or chopped cheese of your choice. I like to use either cheddar or jalapeno. If you want spices, add those now too. Keep stirring.
- Stir continuously on medium heat until the sauce thickens. This will take about 7 to 10 minutes. Once it is thick, remove from heat and let it sit for 2 minutes.
- Take your cooked cauliflower and dice it as small as you like it. Add the chopped cauliflower into the pot and stir into the sauce. Serve and enjoy. I like to add some more grated cheese on top when I serve it.